FAITH-BASED COMMUNITY ASSISTANCE: Offers several faith-based programs for the community serving different, target populations. Also operates a retreat and recreation center featuring a summer camp for underprivileged children in Brookeville, MD.
- Men's Emergency Services: Provides an emergency shelter program and transitional, low-cost housing for men, as well as a rehabilitation program for men with life-controlling issues (shelter and housing for men without children only). Additional men's services include computer and workforce training, culinary instruction, and sanitation/recycling career development programs.
- Family Ministry Center: Operates a food, clothing and furniture distribution center for low-income families. This program also provides backpacks at the beginning of the school year and holiday toys for children. This organization is still distributing holiday toys for children for Christmas 2020.
- Congregate Meals for Seniors: Holds senior luncheons every month with Bingo, lunch, an inspirational program and groceries to take home.
- Medical & Dental Services: Offers free medical, eye and dental exam services to homeless men and women. The exams are private consultations with doctors in a sterile, modern medical room inside the mission. Hospital referrals can be provided if further services are required.
- Veterans Services: Operates a VA-affiliated transitional shelter program for homeless men concurrently enrolled in VA-services. Men who participate in this program are provided access to the food pantry and clothing center as well as Adult Basic Education and GED classes. Participants may also be selected for a special employment program working in the food pantry or as shelter staff.
- 6811 Kenilworth Avenue
- 6th Floor, Suite 600B
- Riverdale, MD 20737
- PO Box 96763
- Washington, DC 20090
Joseph J. Mettimano
Agency: Central Union Mission
Languages Available: Spanish
Payment Description: Free
Intake and Eligibility: Shelter, employment, and veterans services are open to men only. Food, clothing and children's services are open to anyone. Must be residing in the District of Columbia or Prince George's County, MD.
- Prince Georges County