OVERVIEW: Provides affordable health services to Charles County residents.
1) NURSING AND COMMUNITY HEALTH:
o Children: Offers a school health program, maternal & child health services, immunizations, and health insurance for children, WIC, child abuse and neglect prevention, and dental services.
o Adults: Offers the Breast and Cervical Cancer Program; colorectal screening program; adult evaluation and review services for individuals at risk of institutionalization due to medical or psychological problems; in-home medical evaluation; personal care services. prenatal education and case management, and health insurance for pregnant woman; woman's health clinics, and dental services.
o All Ages: Offers communicable disease control; developmental disabilities program; family planning; emergency contraception, Healthy Start Home-visiting for pregnant women and infants 0-2 years; school health; HIV/AIDS Services (including case management, financial assistance and education, counseling and testing); immunizations; sexually transmitted disease diagnosis and treatment; case management programs, information and referral; woman's health.
2) ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH: Protects public health by enforcing regulations that ensure a safe and healthy environment. Conducts inspections and issues permits for sewage disposal, water supplies, food service facilities, campgrounds, public swimming pools, rabies and West Nile investigations.
3) SUBSTANCE ABUSE: Provides outpatient adolescent/ adult assessment and treatment services: individual, specialized groups and family outpatient counseling. Offers urinalysis and breathalyzer testing. Also provides DWI certified treatment. Works with families with children 11 and older.
4) NALOXONE TRAINING: Offers an educational program that includes an understanding of opioids, recognizing signs and symptoms of an overdose, proper rescue breathing techniques, proper administration of naloxone, and care for the individual until the paramedics arrive. Individuals must be 18 and older related to and/or working with individuals dealing with opiate substance use. Provided to family members, caregivers, guardians, and health/human service workers. Training for friends and family will begin in the Fall/Winter 2014. Training dates and times will be posted on http://www.charlescountyhealth.org/ and Facebook as they become available.
5) MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES: Provides outpatient individual, group and family therapy; psychiatric evaluations and psychological testing; and medication monitoring.
6) DISABILITIES SERVICES: Assists individuals with developmental disabilities in accessing vocational , residential and support service such as respite, behavior management, advocacy and camp participation. Services include resource coordination, and infant/toddler development evaluations.
7) ADMINISTRATION: Issues birth and death certificates.
8) SEASONAL FLU: Call the Flu Hotline to hear dates and locations for local flu clinics. Also, visit the website for a complete listing of current local flu clinics.
Dianna E. Abney, MD
Dianna E. Abney, MD
Agency: Charles County Department of Health
Languages Available: Accommodations possible.
Payment Description: Accepts Medical Assistance (Medicaid), offers a sliding fee scale for some programs, and accepts insurance for some programs.
Intake and Eligibility: Anyone in need.